Sunday 16 August 2009

Yes Man

Just finished watching Yes Man & I pretty enjoyed it. I've always been a fan of most of Jim Carey's movies & this is no exception. The acting was as good as anything else; I actually laughed out loud a few times, & the movie also had nice romantic side to it.

Long story short: Jim Carey plays Carl Allen, who for the last 5 years has been working in the loan department of a bank. He's got 2 friends, but doesn't like going out with them. His wife's left him, & he's just got a pretty dull life - most nights are spent sat in, alone, watching movies he's rented from the local Blockbuster. He then bumps into an old friend who has got a new lease on life - he must say "Yes" to everything. Carl reluctantly goes to the seminar, & during it he himself becomes a "yes man". From that night on, his life changes forever. 

He says yes to everything & anything (Korean language lessons, flying lessons, helping the homeless, etc), & over a number of circumstances gets together with this this chick called Alison (Zooey Deschanel - who, for the whole entire movie, I actually thought was Katy Perry. Well, I realized it wasn't her, but she looked ALOT like her). They fall in love, until they get stopped in an airport & Carl is questioned about all of the random things he's done (they beleive he's a terrorist). Alison finds out about the "yes man" way of life & beleives that the only reason he got with her was because he had to say "yes" to everything. The movie then goes on, with Carl trying to get back with Alison, & with Carl learning the true "way of life" of a 'yes man'.

As I said, the acting was as good as anything else. Though 'Norman', or "Norm", (Rhys Darby) was kinda annoying but I feel as though he character was meant to put that across to the audience, as you saw the life through Carl, & at the beginning of the movie he hated Norman but over time built a friendship because of the 'yes man' belief though it was still portrayed in a way that you could tell Carl still found him annoying. 

Yes it was a Rom-Com, but it wasn't that funny for the most part. Though, I did laugh a good number of times. But don't get me wrong, just because it wasn't all that funny doesn't (or, didn't) ruin the enjoyment of the movie. I still enjoyed it overall; though it wasn't as much of a classic as some other Jim Carey films (eg 'The Truman show') it was still a much enjoyable film. 

All in all, I'd probably give it a B rating.

Oh, & if you're thinking "well this is just basically Liar Liar", in my opinion, it's not. If anything, it's moreso the opposite. In that movie, he has to learn not to lie. In this movie, he has to say "yes" to everything that comes his way. Now I can't remember Liar Liar all that well, as it's been a few years since I last saw it, but don't go into this movie expecting Liar Liar, because from as much as I can remember from that film, this is not it at all.

No comments: