Monday 13 July 2009

The Man In The Moon

I just watched 'The Man in the Moon' (1991) without really knowing anything about it. Infact, I first heard about it after looking for 'Man On The Moon' just a few days ago. But anyway, I watched the trailer & well, that pretty much gives you a good idea of the whole story. It's basically a love story between 2 cousins (Dani Trant, 14, & Court Foster, 17) set out in the rural country in 1957, which ends up becoming a love triangle with Dani's older sister Marie (17/18, age isn't given in the movie but is suggested) when she too falls for Court. But then just as Dani finds out about the relationship between Marie & Court there's a big plot point. I won't reveal it, but if you watch the trailer (& even if you don't) you can pretty much tell what it's gonna be. Nonetheless, it had a solid story which was somewhat ruined by the too-revealing trailer but was a little predictable anyway. Though, to be fair, there were a few times when I didn't know what was going to happen next.

I'd say the movie definitely had some solid acting. "Dani" is played by a very young Reese Witherspoon; she would have been 14/15 at the time of release & so during recording of the film chances were she was 12-14 I guess. It was actually, according to IMDB, her first movie & for someone's first movie it definitely wasn't a bad movie to be apart of. The movie also starred Sam Waterson (better known to many now as D.A. Jack McCoy in the Law & Order universe) as the father of the Trant household, "Matthew Trant";Tess Harper as "Abigail Trant", the mother; Gail Strickland as "Marie Foster", Dani's older sister; & Jason London as "Court Foster", the love interest of the two sisters. Overall I thought the acting was pretty good, especially from "Dani", "Court" & "Matthew". 

So yeah, overall a pretty decent movie. It's nothing spectacular, or anything I'd say "GO OUT & BUY THIS NOW!!!" but it's an enjoyable film, & one that I definitely wouldn't say to not watch; definitely watch it if you can.

Ratings wise, I'd probably give this a B-, though it probably would've been a B or a B+ had the trailer not revealed so much about the movie because after watching that, you pretty much know what's gonna happen throughout the movie. I mean, don't get me wonrg, there are plenty of other things that happen just that most of them aren't really too signicifant (though, Reese Witherspoon (or "Dani") does go skinny-dipping near to the beginning of the movie. ;) ...but she's underage during this film so :p).

No comments: